Professional Equities Index and Single Stock Futures Trading
Course Dates: 16 & 23 January 2021 (2 Days, Interactive Virtual Classroom Setting)
Closing date for registration: 11 January 2021
Time: 9.30am – 5.00pm
Course Fee: S$2,000.00 (inclusive of GST)
Fees after 90% IBF-STS Enhanced Funding Scheme and 5% IBF Credit:
Company-Sponsored – S$224.30
Self-Sponsored Individuals – S$100.00
Eligible company-sponsored and self-sponsored individuals will be required to pay course fees net of enhanced course fee subsidies and the IBF Credit, subject to the prevailing grant cap.
* The course fee subsidy and the IBF Credit are applicable only to trainees who have successfully completed the course and passed the assessment. You will not be eligible for the course fee subsidy and the IBF Credit if you drop out halfway through the course or did not pass your assessment. SGX Academy will claw back the course fee subsidy and IBF Credit from you.
Please click here for the programme brochure.
This professional training programme aims to equip participants with in-depth understanding on how derivatives are traded on the exchange, and acquire the core financial technical trading and risk management techniques used by professional proprietary/individual traders.
The programme is suitable for:
- Proprietary trading personnel at financial institutions
- Treasury personnel
- Proprietary trading groups and individuals
- Bank relationship managers, investment consultants and financial advisors
- Individuals seeking to get started in professional derivatives trading
12 hours, comprising of the following:
- Classroom training: 11.5 hours
- Assessment: 0.5 hours
After-Course Support (One-Month Support After the Course)
This comprehensive training programme comes with an after-course support, which includes:
- Weekly week-end Facebook updates, counter-checking whether you have:
- Correctly established the General Big Direction of the market;
- Identified the short-term changes that have taken place; and
- Properly set up the trade plans.
- Twice weekly weekday reviews of selected trade setups and sample executions
At the end of the program, Participants will acquire the abilities to:
- Define technical analysis techniques
- Monitor frameworks for technical analysis and review effectiveness of policies and procedures
- Drive changes to technical analysis approaches
- Operationalize technical analysis process
- Evaluate balanced technical analysis approaches with risk thresholds
Section 1: What are Futures (trading 101)
- What are Futures Contracts?
- Margin to leverage
- Open Interests
- MSCI Singapore (SiMSCI) Index
- The composition
- Contract value
- Contract timing
- Contract specification
- Golden Rules of Derivatives Trading
- Elements of a Trade Plan (DEEP)
- Position sizing
- Making Decisions with Technical Analysis
- Components of Technical Analysis –DLP (Direction/Levels/Price Action)
Section 2: Charting – Construction of Charts
- Technical Analysis Defined
- Basic Ways of Presenting Data
- Concept of Moving Average and Its Philosophy (in Establishing Direction)
- The various MA Parameters to Establish D (Direction)
- How MA Behaves in Trending Market vs Sideway Market
Section 3: The Complete DLP (Direction/Levels/Price-Action)
- Rules to Determine Support/Resistance (Levels)
- Using S/R Levels to Do Swing Trade in a Non-Trending Market
- Macro and Micro Price-Action
- Price-Action with Candlesticks
- Pairing DLP
- Rules of Engagement – Following a Trading System/Methodology to Participate
- Multiple-Time Frame – Top-Down Approach
- Intermarket Correlation and Analysis
Section 4: Getting Started in Trading – Skills to Become Proficient
- Mind – Trading Psychology
- Method – To Gain the Trading Edge
- Money Management – To Avoid the Risk of Ruin
- Linking All the Above – Overview of Trading System
- Trading Journal
Assessment: MCQ (70% passing score)
Tom Yuen (YCK – Tom’s Trading Symbol on SIMEX) is a futures trader with extensive system-based trading and execution experience, and has a strong background in quantitative technical analysis. His futures trading experience spans over 20 years with the first 13 years as a floor/pit trader with Singapore International Monetary Exchange (SIMEX), now known as SGX-DT.
YCK was the first batch of Computer Science graduates in 1986 from the National University of Singapore. He worked as a Defence Scientist in DSO and spent 3 years in Sweden developing defence software from 1986-1989. While serving his bond after coming back to Singapore, he discovered his passion in the financial market.
He particularly enjoyed the idea of playing the number game, where one is rewarded according to his or her trading abilities and skills. He developed his trading edge through the strength of his technical background and an immense interest in psychology. His trading methodology is derived purely from Technical Analysis, with a delicate blend of mass psychology. He joined SIMEX in 1992 as a professional floor trader.
With more than 20 years of training and coaching experience, covering areas ranging from risks and rewards of trading, technical analysis to money management, YCK played an active role on SGX Academy to regularly conduct training classes for aspiring traders, as well as to seminars in Malaysia and Thailand, to share trading experiences to both retail investors and proprietary trading teams.
Having experienced the competitive trading pit environment, YCK strongly believes in the importance of a trading community to support one’s professional trading career. Hence, he played an active role in the Association of Financial and Commodity Traders (AFACT) mentoring new traders.
IBF Standards Training Scheme (IBF-STS)
This programme has been accredited under the IBF Standards, and is eligible for funding under the IBF Standards Training Scheme (IBF-STS), subject to all eligibility criteria being met.
Candidates are advised to assess the suitability of the programme and its relevance to participants’ business activities or job roles.
Under the Enhanced Funding Support for IBF-STS and IBF Credit, MAS will enhance course fee subsidies for locals attending accredited or recognised courses up to 90%. IBF will provide an additional 5% in support in the form of IBF Credit, bringing the course fee subsidy up to 95%. This existing scheme will also be expanded to include workers in eligible FinTech firms.
Find out more on https://www.ibf.org.sg/programmes/Pages/IBF-STS.aspx
For further enquiries, please email email@example.com or call 6670-6808.
(Operating Hours: 9.00am to 5.00pm)
Terms and Conditions
Singapore Exchange reserves the right to make changes to the time, date, syllabus, speakers, venue or cancel the course if warranted by circumstances beyond its control.
Cancellation and Transfer Policy
All seminar/course registrations must be received by SGX Academy Secretariat 10 business days (unless otherwise stated) before the seminar/course commences. Singapore Exchange reserves the right to make changes to the time, date, syllabus, speakers, and venue or cancel the course if warranted by circumstances beyond its control.
Cancellation of a registration must be made in writing at least 10 business days before the event and a refund (less a 10% administrative fee of total course fee) will be made. No refunds will be given for cancellations received less than 10 business days.
Data Protection Notice
By providing my personal information herewith, I authorise Singapore Exchange Limited (“SGX”) and/or its affiliates (collectively with SGX, the “SGX Group Companies”) to collect and use the information I have provided, and to share such information with the SGX Group Companies and any third parties with which the SGX Group Companies have service arrangements in connection with the SGX Academy subscription, the operation of my securities account with The Central Depository (Pte) Limited, if any, or other ancillary purposes, including the marketing of SGX Group Companies’ products and services to me.
For more information, please refer to https://www2.sgx.com/terms-use#SGX%20Privacy%20Policy.
Register online and make payment via Paypal by clicking on the “Register” button.
For Bank Transfer, account details as follows:
Bank Name: OCBC
Bank Account Name: Salmon Thrust PTE Ltd – SGX Academy
Bank Account No.: 601-249881-001
Please state your name and registration ID on the comment.
Do note your transaction ID and email the reference number together with programme details to firstname.lastname@example.org
Enrolment is contingent upon receipt by Singapore Exchange of full payment and availability of space in the event. A confirmation note will be sent via email 10 business days before the seminar/course commences.