Hedge Funds: Strategies and Investment Perspectives
To enhance the understanding of hedge fund as an alternative asset class; its myriad strategies and the risk/return characteristics of investing in it.
This e-training programme comprises 8 modules and 2 assessments. Answer all quiz questions at the end of each tutorial in order to complete the training.
- Understand the various strategies that the hedge fund industry employs
- Understanding the risk/return characteristics of the various hedge fund strategies
- Analysing and evaluating the opportunities and pitfalls of investing in hedge funds in the context of a well-diversified portfolio
Module 1: Hedge Funds Classifications
- Directional strategies
- Relative value strategies
- Event-driven strategies
Module 2: Directional Strategies
- Global macro
- Managed futures
- Equity long/short
- Dedicated shorts
Module 3: Relative Value Hedge Funds
- Convertible arbitrage
- Fixed-income arbitrage
- Equity market neutral
- Volatility arbitrage
Module 4: Event-Driven Strategies
- Merger arbitrage
- Distressed securities
Module 5: Multi-Strategy vs. Funds-of-Hedge Funds
- Multi-strategy managers
- Funds-of-hedge funds
Module 6: Performance of Various Hedge Funds Strategies
- Statistical moments
- Performance of Directional Strategies
- Performance of Relative Value Strategies
- Performance of Event-Driven Strategies
- Performance of Fund-of-Hedge-Funds
Module 7: Why Invest in Hedge Funds?
- Rationale for Including Hedge Funds in a Diversified Portfolio
Module 8: Let’s Examine the Claims!
- Alpha vs. Beta
- Alpha and Liquidity Risk Premium
- Fat Tails
- Asymmetric Returns
- Sharpe Ratio
- Hedge Fund Diversification is Not a Free Lunch!
The Financial Training Scheme (“FTS”) provides funding for financial sector-specific training programmes which are recognized under FTS. This scheme is only eligible for company-sponsored participants who are Singapore Citizens or Singapore Permanent Residents, physically based in Singapore, and who have successfully completed a FTS programme. Financial Institutions (MAS licensed or exempt entities), involved in or supporting financial sector activities, are eligible to submit claims for company-sponsored participants.
For all FTS programmes commencing on or after 8 April 2020 to 31 December 2021, MAS will enhance course fee subsidies for locals attending accredited or recognised courses up to 90% co-funding of direct training costs, subject to existing grant caps of S$2,000 per programme.
IBF will provide an additional 5% in support in the form of IBF Credit, bringing the course fee subsidy up to 95% of course fees subsidies until 30 June 2021. This existing scheme will also be expanded to include workers in eligible FinTech firms.
For more information, please refer to IBF website.
Terms and Conditions
1) This e-training programme takes approximately 2.5 hours to complete.
2) In order to qualify for Continuing Education credits from SGX, please complete all quiz questions found at the end of each tutorial (a 70% pass rate is required) by 31 December 2021.
3) Access to the e-training materials is valid to the end of the calendar year.
4) Upon successful registration, an online course access email will be sent to you within 2 working days. If you are new to Salmon Thrust online learning system, you will receive an additional invitation email to create your online account.
5) If participants wish to make any changes to their application or request for a refund, written notice should be given within 10 business days of receiving the access ID and password to the online programme and provided the access has not been utilised. There will be an administrative fee of 20% of the fees paid. There will be no changes or refund if notice is given thereafter or if the access has been utilised.
6) It is recommended to login the web browser via a personal computer.
7) For assistance please contact email@example.com or call 6670-6808.
(Operating Hours: 9.00am to 5.00pm)
This course is recommended for Trading Representatives and Professionals who need to meet their Continuing Education Credit.
SGX reserves the right to make changes to information regarding the programme if warranted by circumstances beyond its control.