Investing with ETFs
Despite being around just a couple of decades ago, ETFs are one of the fastest-growing segments of the investment management business. This course aims to enhance the understanding of the readers in the area of investing with ETFs.
This e-training programme comprises 6 modules and an assessment. Answer all quiz questions at the end of each tutorial in order to complete the training.
- Know the two main categories of ETFs
- Understand the benefits of investing using ETFs
- Understand how creation/redemption mechanism works in ETFs
- Appreciate how fair value is derived for ETFs
- Understand how equity ETFs are created
- Appreciate the various critical issues inherent in bond ETFs
- Know the working of commodity ETFs
- Have a broad understanding of the new-new area of alternative ETFs
- Know some of the critical issues associated with inverse and leveraged ETFs
- Understand the various strategies of using ETFs in portfolio management
Module 1: Introduction
- Market Access or Outperformance
Module 2: Benefits of Investing Via ETFs
- Low Costs
- Tax Efficiency
Module 3: How ETFs Work
- Creation/Redemption Process
- How Fair Value Is Assessed
Module 4: Equity ETFs
- How Does an ETF Select the Stocks Included in the Fund?
- How Does the ETF Weigh Those Stocks Once They Are on the List?
- International Equities
Module 5: Bond ETFs
- Credit Quality
- Duration and Maturity
- Currency and Country Risk
- Bond ETFs are Not Bonds
- Tracking Error
- Price Discovery
Module 6: Commodity ETFs
- Components of Futures-Based ETF Returns
- The Challenge of Commodities Indexing
Module 7: Alternatives ETFs
- Absolute Return ETFs
- Volatility ETFs
Module 8: Leveraged and Inverse ETF
- Swap-Based vs. Futures-Based
- Applications of Leveraged ETFs
Module 9: ETF Strategies in Portfolio Management
- ETFs in Strategic Portfolio
- Tactical Adjustments Using ETFs
- Factor-Based Investing with ETFs
- Thematic Exposures Using ETFs
- ETF Option Strategies
The Financial Training Scheme (“FTS”) provides funding for financial sector-specific training programmes which are recognized under FTS. This scheme is only eligible for company-sponsored participants who are Singapore Citizens or Singapore Permanent Residents, physically based in Singapore, and who have successfully completed a FTS programme. Financial Institutions (MAS licensed or exempt entities), involved in or supporting financial sector activities, are eligible to submit claims for company-sponsored participants.
For all FTS programmes commencing on or after 8 April 2020 to 31 December 2021, MAS will enhance course fee subsidies for locals attending accredited or recognised courses up to 90% co-funding of direct training costs, subject to existing grant caps of S$2,000 per programme..
IBF will provide an additional 5% in support in the form of IBF Credit, bringing the course fee subsidy up to 95% of course fees subsidies until 30 June 2021. This existing scheme will also be expanded to include workers in eligible FinTech firms.
For more information, please refer to IBF website.
Terms and Conditions
1) This e-training programme takes approximately 1.5 hours to complete.
2) In order to qualify for Continuing Education credits from SGX, please complete all quiz questions found at the end of each tutorial (a 70% pass rate is required) by 31 December 2021.
3) Access to the e-training materials is valid to the end of the calendar year.
4) Upon successful registration, an online course access email will be sent to you within 2 working days. If you are new to Salmon Thrust online learning system, you will receive an additional invitation email to create your online account.
5) If participants wish to make any changes to their application or request for a refund, written notice should be given within 10 business days of receiving the access ID and password to the online programme and provided the access has not been utilised. There will be an administrative fee of 20% of the fees paid. There will be no changes or refund if notice is given thereafter or if the access has been utilised.
6) It is recommended to login the web browser via a personal computer.
7) For assistance please contact email@example.com or call 6670-6808.
(Operating Hours: 9.00am to 5.00pm)
This course is recommended for Trading Representatives and Professionals who need to meet their Continuing Education Credit.
SGX reserves the right to make changes to information regarding the programme if warranted by circumstances beyond its control.