Banking has historically been one of the business sectors most resistant to disruption by technology as banks have built robust businesses with formidable moats. In addition, consumer inertia in financial services is high as consumers have been slow to change financial services providers. The result has been a banking industry with defensible economics and a resilient business model.
But this may be changing. Fintech, a term hardly mentioned in the financial space or used by the mass public not so long ago, has since 2009, right after the financial crisis coincidentally, has been creating a storm in the financial industry.
The objective of this course is to create the awareness and understanding of how the various sectors of Fintech may disrupt the traditional banking businesses, thereby creating an impetus for transformation.
This e-training programme comprises 3 modules and an assessment. Answer all quiz questions at the end of each tutorial in order to complete the training.
- Appreciate the hype surrounding Fintech
- Understand the potential disruption Fintech can create to the traditional banking businesses
- Understand the various sectors making up the Fintech ecosystem
- Appreciate the reason why blockchain has been considered the ultimate reformer in the Fintech space
- Understand how banks can tap on the Fintech phenomenon for transformation
Module 1: What is Fintech?
- Silicon value is coming…
- Why the hype for Fintech?
- Disruption to the traditional banking business
Module 2: The Fintech Ecosystem
- Lending and crowdfunding
- Remittance and Money Transfer
Module 3: The Ultimate Reformer: Blockchain
- What is bitcoin?
- What is blockchain?
- Proposed use cases of blockchain
Module 4: The Fintech Challenge
- Collaboration is the key
The Financial Training Scheme (“FTS”) provides funding for financial sector-specific training programmes which are recognized under FTS. This scheme is only eligible for company-sponsored participants who are Singapore Citizens or Singapore Permanent Residents, physically based in Singapore, and who have successfully completed a FTS programme. Financial Institutions (MAS licensed or exempt entities), involved in or supporting financial sector activities, are eligible to submit claims for company-sponsored participants.
For all FTS programmes commencing on or after 8 April 2020 to 31 December 2021, MAS will enhance course fee subsidies for locals attending accredited or recognised courses up to 90% co-funding of direct training costs, subject to existing grant caps of S$2,000 per programme..
IBF will provide an additional 5% in support in the form of IBF Credit, bringing the course fee subsidy up to 95% of course fees subsidies until 30 June 2021. This existing scheme will also be expanded to include workers in eligible FinTech firms.
For more information, please refer to IBF website.
Terms and Conditions
1) This e-training programme takes approximately 1.5 hours to complete.
2) In order to qualify for Continuing Education credits from SGX, please complete all quiz questions found at the end of each tutorial (a 70% pass rate is required) by 31 December 2021.
3) Access to the e-training materials is valid to the end of the calendar year.
4) Upon successful registration, an online course access email will be sent to you within 2 working days. If you are new to Salmon Thrust online learning system, you will receive an additional invitation email to create your online account.
5) If participants wish to make any changes to their application or request for a refund, written notice should be given within 10 business days of receiving the access ID and password to the online programme and provided the access has not been utilised. There will be an administrative fee of 20% of the fees paid. There will be no changes or refund if notice is given thereafter or if the access has been utilised.
6) It is recommended to login the web browser via a personal computer.
7) For assistance please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 6670-6808.
(Operating Hours: 9.00am to 5.00pm)
This course is recommended for Trading Representatives and Professionals who need to meet their Continuing Education Credit.
SGX reserves the right to make changes to information regarding the programme if warranted by circumstances beyond its control.