The Search for Value (Applied Value Investing)
Seminar Fee: $35* / *Early bird price valid until 23 July 2019(U.P.$40)
The search for value is the application of quantitative criteria on a broad universe of stocks in order to close-in on a few companies. With this manageable list of potential value stocks, individuals can then focus their time and energy to understand the business of these companies. Using a consistent framework of financial and business analysis, participants learn to invest in stocks as an owner rather than a speculator.
This seminar introduces you to a series of practical screening rules and criteria that value investors can use to build stock portfolios.
This seminar is designed for individuals who want to build long-term wealth using a proven approach of value investing. This wealth building process is executed through a systematic approach of diligent research and patient execution of an investment strategy. In 3 hours, participants will learn to adapt this value investing strategy to fit his own risk appetite and investment objectives.
At the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the philosophy of Value Investing
- Understand and apply the principle of reducing Capital at Risk and Timing Risk
- Using online resources to screen for stocks using the Value investing screening criteria.
- Undertake a basic but independent financial analysis to confirm the existence of value
- Perform a five points final evaluation to confirm your analysis outline
Introduction to the investment Philosophy of Value Investing
- Invest don’t speculate
- Investors as business owners
- Mr Market is a crazy guy
- Price is not value
- Always insist on a margin of safety
- Never lose money
- Every stock has an intrinsic value
- Only good quality stocks
The Objectives of a Value Screen
- Reducing Capital at Risk
- Adequate diversification
- Reducing Timing Risk
Screening for Value Stocks Using Online Resources
- The first screen – looking for moat (positive tracker record of profitability, dividend payment, operating cash flow and free cash flow)
- The second screen – looking for growth potential
– CAGR for 5 years and 10 years
- The Third Screen – looking for profitability and reasonable valuation
– Gross and Net Margin, ROE, ROA
- The Fourth Screen – Looking for growth, reasonable valuation and low debt
– Free Cash Flow
– Debt to Total Asset
– Debt to Equity
– PEG Ratio
Perform Basic Financial Analysis to Confirm
- Comparing price growth vs revenue growth
- Compute basic profitability ratios
- Compute PEG Ratio
- Compute Piotroski F-Score
5-Step Investor Checklist
- Growth and sources of growth
- Financial health
Puah Soon Lim graduated from National University of Singapore with a Bachelor degree in Business Administration. He is also a CFA. Soon Lim has more than 20 years of experience in the financial and investment industries, spanning from money broking, merchant banking, bond sales and trading, investment planning, insurance sales and management of a wealth management sales team. His last decade was spent in a stock broking firm’s wealth management unit. He is currently Associate Director of an Independent Financial Advisor. He works with both individual and institutional investors to provide customised advice on optimal asset allocation. His extensive experience and thorough knowledge in wealth management enables him to break down difficult concepts into easy-to-understand components.
For further enquiries, please email email@example.com or call 6327-5438
(Operating Hours: 9.00am to 5.00pm)
Terms and Conditions
Singapore Exchange reserves the right to make changes to the time, date, syllabus, speakers, venue or cancel the course if warranted by circumstances beyond its control.
Cancellation and Transfer Policy
Cancellation for a registration must be made in writing at least 10 business days before the event and a refund (less a 10% administrative fee of total course fee) will be made. No refunds will be given for cancellations received less than 10 business days prior to the event. All requests for replacement must be made in writing at least 3 business days prior to the event.
Register online and make payment via credit card by clicking on the “Register” button.
Alternatively, you may wish to make payment by cheque, made payable to “SGX Academy Secretariat”. Please mail your cheque to the following address:
SGX Academy Secretariat
160 Robinson Road
Please provide your name, email, contact number, event title and date on the reverse side of the cheque. Enrolment is contingent upon receipt by Singapore Exchange of full payment and availability of space in the event. A confirmation note will be sent via email 10 business days before the seminar/course commences.